Your website content is all ready so now, you need visitors, and that’s where WordPress social media plugins come in.
Why Does My Website Need Social Sharing Buttons?
Social networks is an a most effective channel for business owners, freelancers and pro bloggers to promote their brand, increase traffic and sales. And first step on the road of progress in social networks can be placement of social media buttons on your website. It can be button-links to your channel of social networks and buttons to share content.
Social buttons encourage users to share your content. The more your content is shared, the more visitors to your site. If you use social media buttons on your site, it gives your users, flexibility to share content from your site with a click.
Therefore, it will give you more interaction with your visitors, and the ability to attract new visitors.
You can choose from a wide range of plugins, which help you build your Social Sharing Buttons for your website. At least one WordPress social media plugin will be enough for you in most cases.
What WordPress Social Media Plugins Do You Need?
The WordPress.org plugins repository contains a dozen plugins that will allow to start of promotion in social networks. I picked the five of the best in my humble opinion.
- Supports Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, Email, Google+, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, WhatsApp and vKontakte share buttons.
- 15+ styling variations
- Use original social brand colors or specify your custom accent color
- Automatically supports post and pages as well as all registered custom post types on the website
- Multiple placement options (above or below posts), plus template tag option for a custom display location anywhere you want
- Hooks and filters provided for an elegant way to modfy the plugin through your own WordPress theme or a plugin
- Share Buttons for the most common networks
- High Resolution lossless vector font share button icons
- Show the Total Social Media Share count at a glance
- Object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speed of Social Media Icons
- Extensible with many Add-Ons (Google Analytics, More Social Networks, Responsive, YouTube Video Share and more…)
- Developer friendly with several filters and actions.
- Highly customizable
- Smart (virtual) share count function. Add virtual shares to new articles. Use psychological aspects to increase real shares.
- Multiple Share Button Locations – Choose from various placements on your website: before or after the content, or in a floating sidebar on the left or right of the page. Floating sidebars stick with the reader as they scroll through your site.
- Customizable Button Labels – Edit the social buttons’ text to maximize your engagement
- Retina Ready Sharp Social Sharing Icons – Grow uses an icon font to display the best looking social media icons on any screen
- GDPR Compliance – Your readers’ privacy and peace of mind is important. Grow does not collect, store or distribute any user information.
- Social Share Counts and Total Share Counts – Social sharing counts can be displayed for all major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest
- Facebook Share Buttons
- Twitter Share Buttons
- LinkedIn Share Buttons
- Mix Share Buttons
- Email – to share via Gmail, Yahoo or any other email app
- Print – allow your visitors to print your content
- Copy Link – Allows your visitors to copy the current page URL in one click and quickly share with friends.
- Display individual and/or total share counts
- Edit share button labels and maximize engagement
- Display different share buttons for mobile/desktop screens
- “More Networks” button – Choose which share buttons you display and hide the rest inside the Social Snap widget to keep your site clean and clear
And in conclusion, another plugin plus my shortly interview with its developer.
Social Media and Share Icons (Ultimate Social Media) is a plugin which let’s you add icons for RSS, Email, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube, Share (covering 200+ other social media platforms) and upload custom icons of your choice.
The plugin has lots of settings but everything is kept simple and clear in the form of steps:
Step 1: Choose which social media icons you want to display
Step 2: Define what actions your social media icons should perform
Step 3: Pick design & animation options for your social media icons
Step 4: Add counts to your social media icons (optional)
Step 5: Select from various other options, e.g. make your social media icons float
Step 6: Add sharing/linking icons next to each blog post (optional)
Step 7: Add a customized pop-up asking people to follow/share (optional)
Step 8: Add a subscription form on your site (optional)
Also the plugin has a widget to place icons in the right place from the available widget areas.
I had a short interview with Nick Miller, the co-founder of Ultimatelysocial.com:
Dmitry Dinev: What was the reason to develop this plugin?
Nick Miller: Originally it started from the fact that I found it frustrating that existing plugins only gave you one function the social media icon should perform, however there can be several actions linked with the same icon (e.g. the Facebook-icon can perform several functions: a) Take people to their facebook page, 2.) Like the page or 3.) Share the page). So I came up with the tooltip-solution where if users move over the icon, they get a choice of what they can pick.
Then I looked deeper into the plugins which are already out there, and discovered that they had many issues. For example, quite a few do dodgy things (e.g. place tracking code on the site without the user knowing about it). So there was space for a 100% ethical and easy-to-use plugin I thought :)
Dmitry Dinev: What distinguishes your plugin from other plugins?
Nick Miller: The plugin is different from the rest in various ways:
1. Way more functions than the others provide
2. Much easier to use (many bloggers are just starting out, they need an easy interface)
3. More design icon styles
4. 100% Ethical (as mentioned before)
5. 100% Free, also advanced features
Dmitry Dinev: What are your plans for the future of this plugin?
Nick Miller: Regarding the future plans, we’re determined to continue to work on it. Many developers abandon the plugins after a while, but I believe in WordPress, and think that great, ethical plugins on WordPress have a great time ahead.
Well, let’s say thanks to Nick Miller.