What is a WordPress theme?
A WordPress theme is a collection of interrelated files to control how your WordPress website looks. This includes things like locations of the navigation, layouts for page and post, different content blocks, font and color scheme and other things. If you want to change the design, you can switch themes or сhange your active theme.
Stop, stop, what is WordPress?
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a Content Management System, in other words, it is a program that allows you to place and structure content in the network without coding (you do not need to know what HTML or PHP is).
WordPress today is the most popular CMS in the world. Over a quarter of all websites powered WordPress. And it’s free for everyone, and everyone can use and modify WordPress for their needs.
Thus, WordPress is a software that allows you to create and maintain websites, serves to organize a structure into which you can add content, such as text, images, forms, video.
There is a lot of CMS, but WordPress differs from them not only with its popularity. An important distinction of WP is its eco-system. There are three parts of the WordPress ecosystem:
- the CMS itself, called WordPress Core
- Website templates (WP themes) that allow you to change the appearance of the website (what we see on the screen as visitors)
- plug-ins that add the functionality required in each particular case and allows you to create both technical and custom functional parts, such as buttons for sharing in social networks, contact forms, e-commerce.
So, WordPress do the following tasks:
- Creating a website on the specified domain and hosting: managing the structure of the added content, adding pages and entries, settings related to the publication, comments.
- The appearance of the website (design) by installing the website templates (WP theme).
- Extend the functions of the website by installing extensions, called plug-ins.
What WordPress Does Not do for you:
- WordPress does not provide domain names (the address of your site on the Internet) – you must register the domain by yourself.
- WordPress does not provide hosting – it’s a place to store files and website content that are available to the Internet user.
- WordPress does not create content – the content and its structure is added by the owner or the editor of the website.
However, there are two versions of WordPress you need to be aware of WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
WordPress.org also known as the real WordPress, is the software platform for millions of websites. It is open source and 100% free for anyone to use, and all you need is a domain name and web hosting. This is why it is also referred to as self-hosted WordPress.
WordPress.org is where you can download the WordPress software so you can set up a website yourself. And you have full control of your website. You are free to do anything you want and customize it as much as you need.
WordPress.com, also known as hosted WordPress, is a blogging and multi-website service owned by a company called Automattic. WordPress.com uses the WordPress software. When you sign up for an account, you get free hosting. You can upgrade your account to get premium (i.e. paid) features like a domain name.
It sounds good, but what’s better?
If you are a non-profit blogger, or you need an elementary website, and you don’t care about making money from your website, then you can go to the paid or free WordPress.com.
If you are a business, freelance or a blogger and planning to make money from your site, then better using the self-hosted WordPress.org (its use and download for free), because that gives you the real freedom and flexibility relation your own website.
What is a Domain Name?
A domain name (or simply a domain) is a set of symbols that identify a place on the Internet. Most often, the term “domain name” refers to a human-readable identifier (name) of a website that is hosted on a dedicated computer called “server”, which in its turn allows you to remotely access the stored data via the Internet (website, in fact, it is a data packet).
What is Hosting?
Simply put, a set of services to provide space for storing files and data with the possibility of remote access to them through the network (Internet). A company that provides such services is called a hosting provider.
You can register the domain yourself or in the process of purchasing hosting services from a hosting provider. It is better to purchase a domain name from an authoritative hosting provider – so it will be easier to manage everything with a single administrator panel, in addition, many providers offer to register a domain name for free when you buy an annual hosting plan. You can find advantageous offers, for example, on GoDaddy or Bluehost.
Although WordPress is very easy to install, you can use one of the one-click auto installers typically available from hosting companies.
- We assume you’re on a shared host with cPanel installed. If you’re having a hard time deciding which shared host to go for, you could try BlueHost.
- You have FTP access to your public_html directory. This is the folder that will hold the WordPress installation files.
- You have a standard database like MySQL
12 Steps in Manual Installation WordPress:
- Download wordpress.zip file and upload to public_html folder via FTP, or via cPanel File Manager
- Extract the contents of wordpress.zip using cPanel File Manager.
- Create a new MySQL database and user.
- Run the famous 5 minute WordPress installation.
- Create the initial content:
There are two types of content in WordPress; pages and posts.
- Set the Menu:
What pages, categories or posts will be available on the menu for visitors? Go to Appearance > Menus and configure as you wish. Select the items on the left to be added to the menu on the right. Press Save. Find out some details from the article How to create a Navigation Menu in WordPress
- Choose A Theme
- Activate Plugins and Set Widgets
- Go to the Plugins > Add new.
- Already the Widgets, go to Appearance > Widgets, and drag the desired components to the right panel.
- Customise your website via WordPress Customizer
- It’s time to open champagne or how do you want to mark the launch of your own website?
Here are 5 of the obvious ways to use WordPress:
- A blog
- Business website
- Personal website
- An eCommerce website:
Yes, WordPress can be used to create an eCommerce website. You can do this with WooCommerce plugin, is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms available at the moment.
- Portfolio website
And here are some more ideas:
- Landing Page (Одностраничный веб-сайт)
- Wedding website
- A news aggregator
- Yellow Board and much more others.
In conclusion, some of the questions that are often asked by beginners:
Can I use my DinevThemes on WordPress.com?
No, you can’t. When you sign up for a WordPress.com account, you can only use the themes provided by WordPress.com. Themes that are purchased at DinevThemes can only be used for self-hosted WordPress websites.
Can I Use a WordPress theme with Squarespace or Wix?
No, you can’t. Square and Wix have their own proprietary methods for changing the design of a website.
Look who is doing everything here and what differs our themes from others –
Beginners WordPress guide will show you some basic steps for creating a website with WordPress.
Getting Started guide will show you the basic steps of installing, configuring and using our themes.
The great WordPress Tutorial – You can find out what WordPress is and how best to set up your blog system in large WordPress tutorial by Checkdomain.net
Browse all of our themes here and pick that’s a fit for you.